- Next Generation of Advanced, Mass-Market Safety Technologies to Help Mitigate More Potential Causes of Accidents
- To Be Introduced as Standard Equipment on Certain Lexus Vehicles Beginning in Mid-2018
TORONTO, ONTARIO, November 29, 2017 - Lexus Canada today announced that the second generation of its Lexus Safety System + (LSS +) package of active safety features will begin rolling out as standard equipment on certain Lexus vehicles beginning in mid-2018. The updated safety package will add new technologies and capabilities that enhance protection for drivers, passengers, and others who share the road, while helping to provide peace of mind in even more driving situations.
The second generation LSS + reflects ongoing efforts by Lexus to reduce the cost of advanced safety technologies and make them accessible to a wider range of new car buyers. The initial version of LSS +, along with Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS), brought Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), and other advanced safety systems to more than five million Lexus and Toyota vehicles sold in North America, Japan, and Europe. By the end of 2017, LSS+ and TSS will be standard on almost every model in the Lexus and Toyota lineups.
As with the first generation LSS +, the upgraded system is designed to support driver awareness, decision making and vehicle operation over a wide range of speeds under certain conditions. Packaged together into an integrated system, it helps to address three key areas of accident protection: preventing or mitigating frontal collisions, keeping drivers within their lanes, and enhancing road safety during nighttime driving. Lexus will roll out the pre-collision support of Lexus Safety System + A, an advanced active safety package installed in the new "LS," and some functions of its Lexus CoDrive advanced driving support in the second generation Lexus Safety System +.
The second generation LSS + has been expanded to help improve driver situational awareness while providing additional protections for a pedestrian or bicyclist in front of the vehicle. In certain models, new or updated technologies will include:
- Pre-Collision System (updated) with enhanced deceleration capabilities and the ability to help detect a collision with a pedestrian in front of the vehicle during the day and at night, and bicyclist in front of the vehicle during the day;
- Lane Departure Alert (updated) enhanced with “road edge detection” to increase the vehicle’s ability to help drivers stay in their lane;
- Lane Tracing Assist (new), which provides steering support to help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane when Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is in operation; and
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (updated) with enhanced forward recognition and acceleration/deceleration performance across a wide range of speeds. (Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control not available vehicles equipped with conventional parking brakes).
With the introduction of second generation LSS + beginning in mid-2018, the list of Lexus Safety System + packages in Canada is as follows:
LSS + (Current models)
LSS + (Beginning mid-2018 in certain models)
Lexus plans to continue expanding the capabilities of Lexus Safety System + with a broader range of automated safety systems and technology as research and development progresses. This proven approach to technology development helps speed the introduction of advanced systems designed to help improve safety, reduce accidents and ease traffic congestion.