- Power‑Fold Third‑Row Seat Standard
- Class-Leading Cargo Room Behind Third Row
- Seven Passenger Seating
- Six‑Passenger Captain’s Chairs Available
- Leather Seating and Tri‑Zone Climate Control Standard
- Hands‑Free Power Tailgate Standard
- Available with V6 or Hybrid Powertrains
- Standard AWD
- Starting MSRP: $66,050
TORONTO, ONTARIO, November 29, 2017 – Families will now be able to enjoy more space with their luxury utility vehicle of choice thanks to the new three‑row Lexus RX “L” models. The RX helped create the luxury crossover segment almost 20 years ago and has remained one of the most popular luxury utility vehicles on the market. The 2018 RX 350L and RX 450hL hybrid models retain their stylish figures, but now offer the choice of six‑passenger or seven‑passenger capability, depending on the market.
Function and Fashion
With the new RX L models, Lexus drivers will now have the option of a third row without compromising the sleek styling and easy maneuverability that they have long valued. With help through the mastery of vehicle packaging, Lexus extended the body length 110 mm (4.3 inches) at the rear and used a steeper tailgate window angle than on the two-row models – ensuring good headroom for third-row passengers and greater cargo room behind the third row than competitors offer.
The standard seven-seat version uses a 60/40 split bench-type seat. Access to the third row is made easy with the touch of a lever that slides the second seat forward.
The available six-seat configuration features second-row captain’s chairs that make third-row ingress/egress easier with “walk‑in” convenience. With a longer cargo floor area behind its third row than competitors offer, the RX L exceeds their cargo capacity.
Lexus designed the third row of the RX L models to offer the same comfort and luxury as in the middle row. The positioning of the second row is slightly higher than the third row, creating more foot room for rear passengers. Standard leather upholstery is standard for all three rows in a range of colours. A tri‑zone climate control system gives third-row passengers separate rear air conditioning and dedicated vents, and for convenience, a power-folding third-row seat and power tailgate with hands-free operation are both standard on the RX L models. (placing a hand near the Lexus emblem opens or closes the tailgate.)
Details that enhance three-row versatility in the RX L models include a flat load floor behind the folded third-row, a pair of third‑row cupholders, an easily stowable tonneau and covered slide rails.
Lexus Signature Design
The 2018 RX L models offer the same award-winning safety, style, luxury, and performance as the two-row versions. The trend-setting combination of SUV versatility and luxury sedan-like comfort comes packaged in the brand’s dramatic mix of sharp creases and curves. The Lexus signature spindle grille, a focal point, is set off by an elegant chrome-plated surround and standard Bi-LED headlights. Available L-shaped premium LED headlights use three unique L-shaped elements per side.
The RX L models’ elegantly blacked‑out C‑pillars create a floating-roof effect. The spindle theme repeats at the rear, with L‑shaped LED taillights enveloping the tailgate and wrapping into the rear fenders. Available 20‑inch wheel designs enhance the powerful-looking stance. All RX paint colours feature a scratch-resistant self-restoring coat, using high-performance macromolecular polymer.
In the 2018 three-row RX L models, the full-length side curtain airbags cover all three rows.
The Lexus Safety System+ that is standard for most markets includes Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Intuitive Parking Assist and Cross-Traffic Braking is available.
RX 350L: 290 HP V6
The 2018 Lexus RX 350L offers plenty of power to go with its six- or seven- passenger room and added cargo capacity. The 3.5‑litreV6 employs the advanced D-4S fuel injection system, which combines direct and port fuel injection systems. To maximize efficiency, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence Wide (VVT‑iW) is used on the intake camshaft, along with VVT‑i on the exhaust camshaft, allowing the engine to switch between Otto and Atkinson combustion cycles.
The result is 290 hp and 263 lb.‑ft. of torque, with performance and efficiency optimized by an eight-speed automatic transmission. Use of regular-grade gasoline is a boon to customer value. Using Drive Mode Select, the RX 350 L driver can exert more control by choosing from among four driving modes. Normal provides an ideal everyday balance of performance and energy conservation. Sport mode puts an edge on powertrain responsiveness, and Eco mode operates the powertrain at its most efficient level.
As on the two-row RX 350, the RX 350L is available with standard Dynamic Torque Control AWD. Under normal cruising conditions, the system engages front-wheel drive to help reduce fuel consumption.
Continuously taking input from various sensors (such as wheel speed, engine RPM, steering angle, throttle opening angle and yaw rate), Dynamic Torque Control AWD actively governs torque distribution to the rear wheels using an electromagnetically controlled coupling in the rear differential. When the vehicle is accelerating, the system automatically shifts to AWD to help prevent front-wheel slippage. While cruising, the system reverts to FWD, and when sensors detect wheel slippage, it can vary front to rear torque distribution from 100:0 to 50:50. The 4.2” TFT multi-information display conveys torque-distribution status (front to rear, and side to side).
RX 450hL Hybrid with AWD
Luxury buyers seeking a high performing environmentally focused family three-row vehicle will find the ideal travel mate in the 2018 Lexus RX 450hL. The Lexus Hybrid Drive system pairs the D4-S injection 3.5-litre V6 gasoline engine with two high-torque electric drive motor-generators, producing 308 combined system horsepower for strong acceleration and passing performance.
The AWD system is unique to the hybrid model. Instead of transfer gears and a driveshaft to the rear wheels used on RX 350L AWD models, an independent rear-mounted electric motor drives the rear wheels when needed to help maintain optimal traction.
In the RX 450hL, the Drive Mode Select system adds a fourth mode, EV, that enables the vehicle to drive under electric power at lower speeds for short distances. It’s an excellent way to navigate a large parking lot or garage, or to run a local errand.
The RX 450h L includes a standard integrated navigation system and a heated steering wheel.
Ride and Handling
All onboard the 6- or 7-passenger 2018 Lexus RX L models will experience the same luxuriously smooth, quiet ride as the two-row models offer. Front strut and rear double-wishbone suspension systems ensure agility and exemplary ride compliance over all types of surfaces. Electric Power Steering (EPS) yields a light and comfortable steering feel with excellent feedback. Available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) adjusts the damping force according to road surface conditions.
Impeccable Cabin Design and Luxury
The RX cabin is designed with impeccable details, including form-fitting seats, and the available richly finished wood trim (Premium and Luxury Packages) that curves gently up from the centre console toward the glove box.
Available interior ornamentation includes Espresso Walnut, Matte Linear Dark Mocha Wood, Striated Black Trim, and laser-etched Gray Sapele Wood with Aluminum. For the Striated Black Trim on the base model, a glossy black three-dimensional embossed pattern is applied to create a high-quality film design with a sense of depth.
An available full-colour Heads-Up Display (HUD) incorporated into the design of the instrument panel can project key information on the windshield to help the driver focus on the road.
All 2018 Lexus RX L models come with a 12‑speaker premium audio system including HD Radio™, Scout GPS Link, Bluetooth® audio, voice recognition microphone, micro SD card slot, an AUX mini jack and two USB ports. Also standard, the industry’s first 12.3 inch high-resolution split-screen multimedia display offers a full-screen navigation map or can provide simultaneous access to audio or climate controls and various systems. This system includes the easy-to-use, mouse-like Remote Touch Interface.
The 2018 RX L models offer audiophile-quality mobile sound with the available 835‑watt, 15‑speaker Mark Levinson Premium Surround System in conjunction with either navigation system. Advanced Clari‑Fi™ compressed music restoration technology instills new life into digital music files.
The new three-row RX L models join the two-row, five-seat RX versions that continue for 2018.
The RX 450hL Hybrid, the most powerful and most fuel-efficient RX model, includes as standard the Premium Package and also featuring heated/ventilated front seats and Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
- 290 hp, 3.5-litre V6 engine.
- 8-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i).
- Standard Dynamic Torque Control AWD system uses an electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending on driving dynamics and road conditions.
- Lexus Hybrid Drive with 3.5-litre V6 engine, Motor Generator 1, Motor Generator 2 and a planetary-type electronic continuously variable transmission.
- Total system power of 308 hp.
- Standard AWD with independent rear electric motor-generator.
- 37 kW nickel metal hydride (Ni‑MH) hybrid battery.
- A number of cutting-edge technologies enhance structural rigidity, including high-tech body adhesives and laser screw welding; liberal use of high-tensile strength steel throughout the vehicle, and a process called annular frame construction for strengthened frame sections around the front and rear doors.
- 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 235/65R18 tires; 20-inch wheels are available.
- Standard Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- Available Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
- 10 SRS airbags including dual-stage and dual-chamber driver’s and front passenger airbags; driver’s and front passenger knee airbags; front side airbags; rear side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags for all three seat rows.
- 4-sensor, 4-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Traction Control (TRAC), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Hill-start Assist Control
- Additionally, Smart Stop Technology automatically reduces engine power when there is simultaneous application of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal under certain conditions.
- Active front headrests help to reduce the severity of a whiplash injury in the event of certain types of lower speed rear collisions.
- Panoramic View Monitor
- 10-way power front seats with power lumbar adjustment.
- Acoustic glass windshield.
- Customizable vehicle settings, including personal door-lock preferences, interior/exterior light adjustments, driver’s seat Easy Exit, and window-closure settings.
- Tri-Zone automatic climate control with interior air filter
- Leather seating surfaces
- Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel with integrated audio controls.
- Lexus Display Audio with 200 mm (8 inch) colour multimedia display and 9 speakers
- Power liftgate with hands-free operation
- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column
- SmartAccess with push-button Start/Stop
- Subscription-free Traffic and Weather updates via HD Radio™
RX 450hL features additional standard equipment, including integrated navigation, 12-speaker audio system, heated/ventilated front seats and heated steering wheel.
Luxury Options (Highlights)
- Luxury Package includes contents of Premium Package plus 20-inch super chrome wheels, heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, semi-aniline leather trimmed seating, power moonroof and smog-sensing climate control system.
- 15-speaker Mark Levinson® Surround Sound system.
- Navigation Package with 8-inch or 12.3-inch display, Remote Touch Navigation controller, advanced voice control, backup monitor HD Radio with iTunes® Tagging and more.
About Lexus Canada
Lexus Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 39 dealers across Canada. Guests have access to a wide range of luxury and performance vehicles with a total of 12 Lexus nameplates available in Canada, including the largest luxury hybrid lineup of 6 hybrid models. Inspired by bold design, intuitive technology, and peak performance, Lexus is committed to delivering the highest quality products and services and creating amazing experiences for their guests. The Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h are built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada’s (TMMC) award-winning Cambridge South plant. For more information about Lexus and Lexus products, please visit: www.lexus.ca.