- Redesigned Exterior Highlighted By One-Piece Spindle Grille
- New Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission
- More Standard Safety Features: Lexus Safety System +, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Tire Specific Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Lane Departure Alert
- Upgraded Multimedia With Larger 12.3-inch Screen and Remote Touch Interface
- Added Standard Features Including Panoramic View Monitor, Climate Concierge, Heads-up Display and wireless charger
(TORONTO, ON – August 14, 2015) Pebble Beach might be known for golf 51 weeks out of the year, but for one week each August, the cars take over. The Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, which anchors Monterey Car Week, hosts some the world’s most beautiful classic automobiles and is also the ideal venue to introduce a flagship premier luxury sport-utility, the 2016 Lexus LX 570. With a powerful V8, sophisticated 4WD chassis and seating for eight, the Lexus LX 570 remains one of the few luxury utility vehicles that combines sumptuous luxury with true off-road capability.
Lexus left barely any surface of the LX 570 untouched in a sweeping upgrade for 2016, with only door panels carried over from 2015. The restyled front end wears an even bolder rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille, framed by elegant satin chrome trim and complemented by distinctive new standard LED headlights, turn signals and fog lights. The LX 570 design makeover gives it new 20-inch split 10-spoke wheels. The taillights and rear bumper also get a new look.
The upgrades for 2016 go beyond skin-deep. An eight-speed automatic transmission replaces the former six-speed for enhanced performance and efficiency. New Drive Mode Select, as used in other Lexus vehicles, allows the LX 570 driver to tailor powertrain and suspension responses by using a dial on the console. The system also controls responses of the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which continually adjusts shock absorber damping rates while driving, helping to ensure optimal comfort even as the road surface changes.
Modes include ECO, which adjusts powertrain responses and air conditioning to prioritize fuel-efficient driving; COMFORT mode optimizes AVS damping to help deliver the smoothest ride possible; SPORT S mode dials up powertrain response and dials down power steering assist to yield a sportier driving feel, and, to that, SPORT S+ mode adds firmer damping control from AVS to prioritize handling agility.
The formidable 5.7-litre V8 engine produces 383 horsepower and delivers 90-percent of its 403 lb.-ft. peak torque at just 3,600 rpm. Coupled with a 7,000-pound towing capacity, that output makes the Lexus LX 570 an outstanding vehicle for trailering a classic automobile bought at a Pebble Beach auction.
A new standard feature for 2016, the panoramic view camera is an invaluable aid when hitching and maneuvering a trailer, viewing the surround terrain when off-roading, and helping view the area around the vehicle (sides, front and rear) when maneuvering tight spaces. The new, larger 12.3-inch navigation screen can show several view combinations (panoramic/driver’s side, panoramic/passenger’s side, panoramic/rear, panoramic/front, side/side, rear, front/side/side, underfloor/side/side, rear/side/side) to help aid the driver.
The LX also adds standard several safety features, new multimedia with Remote Touch Interface and substantial dual screens for the standard Rear Seat Entertainment System to help captivate passengers.
New Standard Lexus Safety System +
With room for eight comes safety for eight. Ten standard airbags are among the comprehensive occupant protection measures in the LX 570, and a wide array of driver-assist technologies help the driver to avoid hazards. New and standard for 2016, Lexus Safety System + combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control works at a range of speeds. It tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance. It’s sophisticated enough to smoothly adjust acceleration and deceleration when a vehicle enters or exits the lane or highway ahead.
Using a combination of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can detect vehicles, and, in some circumstances, pedestrians. PCS can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
LDA uses a camera to monitor visible lane markings, and if it senses the vehicle is drifting from the lane, it will convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel to get the driver’s attention. IHB adjusts high- and low-beam illumination automatically when it detects oncoming traffic or the taillights of the vehicle traveling in front.
The LX 570 offers excellent all-around visibility, but drivers can appreciate the extra help from the standard Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA). Also with the goal of helping keep the driver’s eyes on the road, the LX 570 puts more information directly in line of sight with the new Heads-up Display (HUD). The Heads-up Display shows information such as vehicle speed, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, warnings, information icons, LDA, PCS and Intuitive Park Assist.
Full Capability, Defined
A robust body-on-frame structure gives the LX 570 the foundation to deliver a silky smooth ride on pavement, or to take a pounding off-road. A Torsen® limited-slip locking center differential provides full-time four-wheel drive, splitting torque 40:60 under normal driving conditions. The differential responds on the move to changing conditions, automatically adjusting the torque distribution as necessary. Off-road, the driver can lock the center differential for driving over challenging surface conditions.
The four-wheel Active Traction Control system (A-TRAC) helps to control wheel slip, and, using the Multi-Terrain Select system, the driver can match A-TRAC’s performance to the prevailing conditions. Selectable modes include Rock, Rock and Dirt, Mogul, Loose Rock, and Mud and Sand. The transmission’s driver-selectable low range provides low-speed crawling capability for handling steep off-road hills and uneven terrain. Low-range capability gets support from Crawl Control with Turn Assist, Hill-start Assist Control and Variable Gear Ratio Steering.
With LX 570 Luxury, More is More
Lexus went dashboard-to-tailgate inside the LX 570, expanding its already lengthy list of amenities and upgrading multimedia capability. New wood trim selections include Matte Walnut, Linear Espresso and Dark Brown Walnut. A new three-spoke wood-rimmed steering wheel is another classic touch. The modern meets the timeless in the new analog clock, which sits in a housing is carved from a single ingot of aluminum and features LED indicators. GPS functionality adjusts the time zone.
In changeable weather, much like the Monterey Peninsula, the addition of heated/ventilated middle row seats ensures consistent comfort (front ventilated seats were already standard). Speaking of keeping cool, the new standard Climate Concierge feature automatically monitors the temperature of the four separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually.
The 2016 LX 570 aims to please passengers. The standard dual screen Rear Seat Entertainment System uses dual 7.0-inch screens. New for 2016, the second-row provides USB ports and the armrest features controls for the air conditioning and audio.
New details throughout the LX 570 underscore its premier position among luxury utility vehicles. There’s new LED ambient lighting in the cabin and cargo area, and the overhead console lighting now operates via touch sensor.
Intuitive Park Assist and SmartAccess System with card key are still standard. About the size of a credit card, the SmartAccess card key offers all the functions of the SmartAccess key fob but fits easily into a wallet.
Multimedia and Connectivity
The LX 570 is an ideal vehicle for getting away from it all while still staying informed, entertained and connected. A new 12.3-inch display with Remote Touch Interface (RTI) heads a list of multimedia and connectivity upgrades that keep the LX 570 on the cutting edge of user tech.
With the 12.3-inch screen, Navigation gains full-screen map capability. There are menu shortcut buttons on the side of the screen. The screen can be split into three sections to show different functions, such as navigation, audio and climate control information. The new Remote Touch Interface controller makes it even easier to use to operate climate control, audio, phone, navigation and more.
Have an iPhone®? In the LX 570, Siri® Eyes Free Mode lets you select songs from iTunes®, get turn-by-turn navigation through Apple Maps, and much more -- all by asking Siri.
No matter the music source or genre, it will sound powerful and clean played through the standard 19-speaker, 450-watt Mark Levinson® Reference Surround Sound audio system.
What’s New for 2016
- Eight-speed automatic transmission replaces six-speed
- Restyled front end with one-piece spindle grille
- Drive Mode Select
- LED headlights, turn signals and fog lights
- Revised taillights and rear bumper
- New 20-inch wheel designs
- Standard Lexus Safety System +
- Upgraded multimedia with 12.3-inch screen and Remote Touch Interface
- Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display
- Standard Panoramic View Camera
- Standard Heads-Up Display
- Three-spoke wood-trimmed steering wheel
- Standard ventilated/heated rear seats
- LED ambient lighting in cabin and cargo area
- Touch-sensor overhead lighting
- Manual second-row sunshades
- Standard wireless charging tray for Qi-compatible phones
- Larger 11.6-inch screens for available Rear Seat Entertainment System
- Tire-specific tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- 5.7-litre V8 produces 383 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 403 lb.-ft. peak torque at 3,600 rpm.
- Electronically controlled eight-speed automatic transmission with adaptive shift technology.
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) helps provide additional control for off-road driving by helping to keep the vehicle from rolling back when transitioning from the brake to the gas pedal on a steep incline or slippery surface.
- Body-on-frame construction provides ruggedness and durability in challenging driving conditions, along with impressive ride isolation characteristics and a 7,000-pound maximum towing capability.
- Active Height Control (AHC) system lowers the chassis by about two inches for easy entry and exit and returns automatically to its normal height when the vehicle begins to accelerate.
- Split five-spoke, 20-inch alloy wheels with Liquid Graphite finish and 285/50R20 tires.
- The multi-terrain Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) determines road-surface conditions and automatically optimizes lock-up control, selecting the suitable ABS profile for on- and off-road driving surfaces.
- Brake Assist (BA) provides auxiliary force to assist the driver during emergency braking.
- Crawl Control feature provides optimum throttle and brake modulation when maneuvering over rough, uneven or difficult terrain.
- Turn Assist helps tighten the vehicle’s turning circle by adding more brake force to the inside rear wheel.
- 10 standard airbags, including driver- and front-passenger knee airbags, front and second-row seat-mounted side airbags in the outboard seating positions, and roll-sensing side curtain airbags that cover all three rows.
- Active Front Headrests move upward and forward in the event of certain low speed rear-end collisions when the force of the occupant's body is applied to the seat back.
- The 14-way power adjustable driver’s seat includes dual-function lumbar and cushion extender, while the 12-way power front passenger's seat features lumbar adjustment.
- Standard cabin amenities include four-zone independent climate control, Navigation, a rear back-up camera, a power-sliding second-row seat and power-retractable third-row seat.
- The Easy Access system automatically retracts the steering wheel and moves the driver’s seat rearward when the ignition is switched off; both return to their preset memory positions the next time the driver is seated and starts the ignition.
- The 40/20/40 split, power-sliding second-row seat slides forward and aft 3.5 inches for passenger comfort and cargo storage versatility.
- The 50/50 split third row seat folds to provide 41 cu. ft. of carrying space. Folding the split middle row increases the space to 83 cu. ft. The clamshell-design tailgate, which features a power upper section, is more versatile than a one-piece hatch.
- The split rear tailgate features a power upper door, while the bottom section raises and lowers with minimal effort.
- 48-month/80,000km basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited kms
- 72 months/110,000km powertrain and restraint system coverage
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of distance travelled
The 2016 Lexus LX 570 is now on sale at Lexus Dealers across Canada, with a starting MSRP of $104,300.
About Lexus Canada
Lexus Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 38 dealers across Canada. With 11 Lexus nameplates on the road today, six of them with hybrid models, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2014 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), Lexus ranked highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for the third consecutive year. Additionally, the Lexus RX and RXh are built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada’s (TMMC) Cambridge South plant, the recipient of J.D. Power’s 2014 Platinum Plant Quality Award, Worldwide. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit: www.lexus.ca
*Updated November 13, 2015