(TORONTO) – Lexus of Canada invites guests seeking the advanced expression of contemporary luxury to test drive the 2011 Lexus RX 450h – the ground-breaking hybrid luxury SUV.
“The 2011 Lexus RX 450h is extremely well equipped with driver-inspired Lexus innovations, comfort and convenience features – including its specially designed Lexus Hybrid Drive, which generates outstanding horsepower and performance while delivering compact car-like fuel efficiency and a minimal emissions profile,” explained Larry Hutchinson, Director of Lexus in Canada. “Our Canadian guests know that the RX 450h – the world’s first luxury hybrid – is the ultimate expression of contemporary, absolute luxury and for 2011 we have enhanced our RX hybrid line with a greater choice of premium options packages tailored to our guests’ needs.”
Highlights for 2011
- A revised arrangement of the in-cabin 12V DC outlets makes it easier to plug-in portable electronics
- Updated Touring Package features leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- New Ultra Premium 1 Package features LED headlamps, premium leather seat surfaces, 15-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, wide-view side monitor system, intuitive parking assist and more
Power and performance
The 2011 RX 450h is powered by an advanced Lexus Hybrid Drive, built around a 3.5L V6 Atkinson cycle engine with three high-torque electric motors, a powerful hybrid battery and sophisticated powertrain management technology. Lexus engineering for performance and efficiency can be found throughout the hybrid powertrain.
The Lexus Hybrid Drive delivers quick, smooth acceleration and 21st century luxury performance: The RX 450h generates up to 295 net horsepower and a 3,500 lb towing rating, while achieving a fuel efficiency rating of 6.9 L per 100 KM (combined city/highway) and qualifying as a low emissions, Tier 2 Bin 3 vehicle.
Handling and control
Exceptional agility and control are hallmarks of the Lexus RX series and the RX 450h amply demonstrates this, thanks to highly responsive electric power steering and Active Torque Control All-Wheel Drive, which automatically adapts to changing road conditions by adjusting front and rear torque for optimum traction, performance and efficiency.
The RX 450h features an independent front suspension and uniquely designed double wishbone rear suspension, enhanced by a suite of Lexus handling and control technologies including the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC) and Hill start Assist Control (HAC).
Every RX 450h is equipped with a generous suite of active and passive safety systems:
- Front ventilated disc brakes and rear disc brakes are enhanced with the Lexus Antilock Braking System with Brake Assist and Electronic Brake force Distribution technologies, plus the hybrid-unique enhancements of an electronically controlled hydraulic braking system and integrated regenerative braking, which captures braking energy and stores it in the hybrid drive for later use
- Every RX 450h features 10 airbags (dual stage driver and front passenger air bags, front seat mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags and front and rear roll-sensing side curtain airbags, rear seat side airbags)
- All-position three-point lap and shoulder belts with adjustable B-pillar shoulder belt anchors, pre-tensioners and force limiters on the seatbelts in the front and outside rear seating positions, plus Active Front Headrests with Whiplash Protection, anchor points for child protector seats and a first-aid kit
- Safety starts with seeing, so every RX 450h is standard equipped with Bi-Xenon high intensity discharge headlamps, enhanced with several Lexus headlamp systems – including the Automatic Headlamp System, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Auto-levelling Headlamp System, Automatic High Beam feature, and headlamp washers. The variable intermittent wipers are enhanced with rain-sensing technology and a wiper de-icing system. At the back, long-life LED brake lamps provide high-visibility alerts to following drivers
- Additional safety technologies fitted as standard include a direct tire pressure monitoring system and back-up camera
Luxury features with no compromise
The 2011 Lexus RX 450h is equipped with generous suites of comfort, convenience, style and luxury amenities. These include:
- Nine-speaker audio system with six-disc CD changer, MP3 capability, auto sound levelizer, Bluetooth connectivity, integrated XM Satellite Radio, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and more
- Dual zone automatic climate control with dust/pollen/odour filter and rear seat heater ducts
- Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat with driver memory system and four-way power adjustable front passenger seat, both with heating and ventilation systems – plus 60/40 folding/sliding/reclining rear seats with remote release in cargo area
- A full suite of controls and gauges including an Organic LED multi-information display with Lexus customizable features, electroluminescent gauges and an ECO drive indicator
- Power windows with auto up/down function on all windows, power door locks with the Lexus Smart Key System with Push Button Start and front door handle touch sensor to lock/unlock the vehicle, plus a power rear door with jam protection
- Refined interior finishes including real wood trim
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated compass and back-up camera, plus dual illuminated vanity mirrors
- Plenty of thoughtful in-cabin storage including overhead sunglass storage, driver and passenger opening door pockets, centre console box with armrest, front seat back pockets, front and rear cupholders, plus cargo area tie-down rings and specialized storage compartments
- Anti-theft system with engine immobilizer
- An advanced, sophisticated exterior design featuring 18” aluminum alloy wheels, dual power-adjustable auto-dimming heated side view mirrors with integrated signal lamps and puddle lamps, rear bumper protector, front and rear splash guards, roof rails, a power moon roof, a roof-mounted spoiler, Lexus Hybrid blue-accented trim and badges and more
The already generously-equipped 2011 Lexus RX 450h may be enhanced with a selection of three available options packages.
The Touring Package enhances the RX 450h with larger, 19” aluminum alloy wheels, plus: A voice-activated hard disc based navigation system with the Lexus Remote Touch controller and a 12-speaker Lexus premium audio system with rear subwoofer and USB audio input.
The Ultra Premium Package 1 builds on the Touring Package, with: premium leather seat surfaces; front seat power thigh support; a 15-speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound audio system with 7.1-channel architecture and in-dash six-disc DVD changer; the Lexus wide-view side monitor system; Power retractable exterior mirrors; the Lexus Intuitive Parking Assist system; front illuminated doorsill trim; a wood and leather wrapped shift knob and steering wheel and LED headlamps.
For the ultimate in luxury, the Ultra Premium Package 2 builds on the Ultra Premium Package 1, adding: a dual-screen rear seat DVD entertainment system with two sets of wireless headphones and an audio/DVD remote control; a 115-volt/400-watt power outlet; roof rail crossbars; a heads-up instrumentation display; the Lexus Pre-Collision System and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
Pricing and availability:
The 2011 Lexus RX RX 450h hybrid luxury SUV is now on sale at Lexus Dealers across Canada, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $59,550
- 30 -
About Lexus of Canada
Lexus in Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 34 dealers across Canada. Delivering more perfect moments of advanced motoring, the best-selling Lexus RX 350 SUV – fusing intuitive technology and L-finesse luxury – is built for the North American market in Cambridge, Ontario, the first and only Lexus manufacturing facility located outside of Japan. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit www.media.lexus.ca.