(TORONTO) – Responsive performance, precision dynamics and distinctive sport styling. The Lexus IS series delivers all this and more in a true luxury package. With two engine sizes and a choice of rear wheel drive or all wheel drive power trains, the 2012 Lexus IS 250 and Lexus IS 350 feature advanced engineering that delivers a fun, exhilarating ride and starts at an MSRP of $32, 900.
Highlights for 2012
- A new Touring Edition 1 package available for the IS 250 AWD adds heated front seats, leather seat surfaces, a power moon roof and High Intensity Discharge headlamps with LED daytime running lights.
“Designed and engineered for outstanding style and performance, and with a choice of four models plus several available options packages, the Lexus IS features fluid lines, a beautifully refined interior, advanced performance, and thoughtful amenities that make driving a pleasure,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director, Lexus in Canada. “With the addition of a new Touring Edition and many customization parts and accessories – including F-Sport high performance components – the IS 250 and IS 350 are dynamic luxury sedans ready to help Canadians in their own pursuit of exhilarating moments.”
Power and performance
Guests may choose from two V6 engines – a potent yet efficient 2.5 L that delivers up to 204 horsepower and a peak 185 lb-ft of torque, or a powerful 3.5 L that generates 306 peak horsepower and up to 277 lb-ft of torque. Both feature 24 valves and dual overhead cams, Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), the Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), the Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) and other systems to maximize power across a broad speed range while boosting efficiency and reducing emissions.
The IS 250 and IS 350 feature a six-speed automatic Super Electronically Controlled Transmission (Super ECT) with overdrive, sequential multi-mode shifter and paddle shifters. The IS 250 RWD is also available with a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission with overdrive. Combined city/highway fuel efficiency figures are as follows: IS 250 RWD (manual) – 9.4 L / 100 KM; IS 250 RWD (automatic) – 8.1 L / 100 KM; IS 250 AWD – 9.1 L / 100 KM; IS 350 RWD (automatic) – 9.0 L / 100 KM; IS 350 AWD (automatic) – 9.8 L / 100 KM.
All IS 250 and IS 350 models achieve the Tier 2, Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and Control
Power needs control, and the IS 250 and IS 350 include many driver-focused systems that deliver driving confidence. All models are standard-equipped with the Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) System. VDIM anticipates and corrects potential stability problems such as skids or slides to optimize handling and control.
The IS 250 AWD and IS 350 AWD deliver the added confidence of an all-wheel-drive that automatically adjusts power distribution between front and rear wheels. Under normal driving conditions, 70% of power goes to the rear wheels but when slipping occurs the vehicle will automatically transfer up to 50% of power to the front wheels to achieve optimum traction.
On the IS 250 RWD and IS 350 RWD, the rear-wheel-drive system provides benefits in weight distribution for maximum handling and performance, and is enhanced with a pre-torque semi-limited slip differential.
All IS series sedans feature an independent double-wishbone type front suspension with gas shocks and coil springs, plus added stabilizer bars to enhance control and road feel to enhance agility, responsiveness and stability at highway speeds. Front suspensions also feature geometry designed to minimize dive and squat during high-G manoeuvres.
Rear suspensions are of a multi-link control arm design with gas shocks, coil springs and stabilizers.
The IS 350 RWD is standard equipped with a sport tuned suspension. This adjustment is also available on select IS 250 RWD models.
The IS series body is carefully engineered with an aerodynamic design and lightweight body rigidity for exceptional handling, steering response and stability.
For precise cornering and lane changes, the IS 250 and IS 350 are equipped with highly-responsive and efficient electric power steering with progressive rate system that adjusts steering sensitivity to vehicle speed.
The 2012 Lexus IS series delivers advanced safety for driver, passengers, and those who share the road:
- IS series vehicles are standard equipped with a full suite of Lexus active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. These include Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and Brake Assist enhancements, and Lexus Smart Stop technology;
- IS series sedans surround driver and passengers with airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- Front and rear disc brakes are ventilated to help shed heat build-up;
- Three point lap and shoulder belts in all five seating positions, including front and rear seat pretensioners and force limiters;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats;
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system;
- An onboard first-aid kit;
- And more.
The IS series features a beautiful, contemporary and functional interior with a generous array of convenience and style features, including:
- A 13-speaker Lexus Premium Audio System featuring AM/FM stereo/CD with mp3/WMA audio capability; six-disc CD changer; auxiliary audio input jack and USB audio input; Bluetooth capability; Integrated XM Satellite Radio; and steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with soft touch heater controls, plus cabin air filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- Seating for five adults, including front sport seats and a fold-down rear seat centre armrest with pass-through;
- Power door locks with keyless entry with trunk release, key lockout protection, the Lexus Smart Key System and Push Button Start;
- Power windows with auto up/down function on all windows, tinted glass, side window defoggers, and high solar energy-absorbing glass;
- A beautiful, luxurious interior, featuring leather-wrapped steering wheel; metallic shift knob; metallic dash accents; dual illuminated vanity mirrors; and more;
- A tilting/telescoping steering column;
- Full instrumentation including tachometer; dual trip odometer, multi-information display, outside temperature gauge, digital clock, cruise control and more;
- An electrochromatic rear view mirror;
- Door courtesy lamps; Glove box lamp; map lamps; Illuminated entry with fadeout;
- An integrated garage door opener;
- Thoughtful in-cabin storage including door map pockets, front and rear cup holders, glove box, front centre console box, front seat back pockets, centre console with armrest, and more;
- Anti-theft system;
- Dual power remote heated and foldable exterior mirrors with integrated signal lamps;
- Variable intermittent wipers with mist feature and front windshield de-icer;
- The Lexus automatic headlamp system and fog lamps;
- And more.
Available Models and Packages
In addition to the features standard to all models, the 2012 Lexus IS 250 RWD also includes: 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; sport fabric seat material; adjustable driver and front passenger seats; halogen headlamps; and more. The IS 250 RWD may be enhanced with the following available upgrade packages:
- The Sport Package, available for manual transmission models, adds: Leather seat surfaces, heated front seats; eight-way power adjustable front seats; 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks and P225/40R18 (front) and P255/40R18 (rear) tires; a power moon roof; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; and a sport tuned suspension.
- The Leather with Moon Roof Package, for automatic transmission models, adds: leather seat surfaces; heated front seats; eight-way power adjustable front seats; and a power moon roof.
- The F-Sport Package, available or automatic transmission models, builds on the Leather with Moon Roof Package by adding: sport-tuned suspension, 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks and P225/40R18 (front) and P255/40R18 (rear) tires; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; a power tilting/telescoping steering column; a three-spoke F-Sport steering wheel and sport shift knob; stainless steel F-sport scuff plates; Alcantara/Leather F-Sport seats; a hard drive navigation system with integrated back-up camera; exclusive exterior details including a sport grille, front chin spoiler and rear lip spoiler; reverse auto-tilt exterior mirrors; rain-sensing wipers; and high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with LED daytime running lights.
The 2012 Lexus IS 250 AWD includes all features standard to all models, plus: 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; an eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat; sport fabric seat material; halogen headlamps; and more. The IS 250 AWD may be enhanced with the following available upgrade packages:
- The Leather with Moon Roof Package adds leather seat surfaces, heated front seats, and a power moon roof;
- The Touring Edition 1 Package – new for 2012 – adds leather seat surfaces, heated front seats, a power moon roof and high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps;
- The Leather with Moon Roof and Navigation Package adds leather seat surfaces, heated front seats, a power moon roof and a hard drive-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera;
- The Luxury with Navigation Package adds premium leather seat surfaces, heated and ventilated front seats, a driver’s seat memory system with three settings, a power moon roof, a hard drive-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera, a power rear window sunshade, wood grain interior trim, front illuminated “Lexus” scuff plates, rain sensing wipers, power tilting/telescoping steering column, reverse auto-tilting exterior mirrors, high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with headlamp washers, and LED daytime running lights.
The 2012 Lexus IS 350 RWD includes all standard features, plus: 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; eight-way power adjustable F-Sport front seats, heated front seats and premium leather seat surfaces; a hard drive-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; F-Sport scuff plates; a three-spoke F-Sport steering wheel on power tilting/telescoping column; auto-dimming and reverse auto-tilting side view mirrors; sport grille; power moon roof; rain-sensing wipers; high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with headlamp washers and LED daytime running lights; and more.
The 2012 Lexus IS 350 AWD includes all standard features, plus: 17” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; eight-way power adjustable front seats, heated front seats and leather seat surfaces; high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with headlamp washers and LED daytime running lights; and more. The IS 350 AWD may be enhanced with the following upgrade packages:
- The Moon Roof and Navigation Package adds: a hard drive-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera plus a power moon roof;
- The Luxury with Navigation Package adds: a hard drive-based navigation system with integrated back-up camera, a power moon roof, premium leather seat surfaces, heated and ventilated front seats, power tilt and telescoping steering column, electrochromatic side-view mirrors, a power rear window sunshade, a driver’s seat memory system with three settings, reverse auto-tilting exterior mirrors, rain sensing wipers, wood grain interior trim, front illuminated “Lexus” scuff plates, a 14-speaker Mark Levinson Audio system, and a clearance and back-up sensor system.
Guests may also personalize their 2012 Lexus IS 250 RWD, IS 250 AWD, IS 350 RWD or IS 350 AWD from a range of Lexus parts and accessories. Consult the Lexus web site for the most up to date list of options by model.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Lexus IS series is now on sale at Canadian Lexus Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $32,900 for the IS 250 RWD, $38,000 for the IS 250 AWD, $51,250 for the IS 350 RWD and $44,950 for the IS 350 AWD.
About Lexus of Canada
Lexus in Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 35 dealers across Canada. With 5 models on the road today, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2011 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), Lexus won the most segment awards, four in total, of any nameplate. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit www.media.lexus.ca.