(TORONTO) – Exhilarating power. Split-second shifts. Track-ready driving dynamics. Plus civilized on-road manners and the luxury and attention to detail that only Lexus can deliver. The 2012 Lexus IS F is the high-performance luxury sport sedan of choice for Canadians looking for the definitive, all-out driving experience.
“The Lexus IS F – named after its home course, Fuji Speedway – is perfect for Canadians looking for an advanced, contemporary interpretation of dynamic driving and no-compromise thrill,” said Larry Hutchinson, Director of Lexus in Canada. “With remarkable power and performance, it has a well deserved reputation as ‘The Beast’.”
Power and performance
The 2012 Lexus IS F features a high-performance 5.0 L V8 that produces 416 peak horsepower and up to 371 lb-ft of torque to launch the vehicle from 0-100 km/h in less than five seconds. This powerhouse features dual overhead cams, Variable Valve Timing with intelligence, electrically driven on the intake cam (VVT-iE), a Direct Ignition System, Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), Direct Injection four-stroke gasoline engine superior version (D-4S), and Dual air intakes with Air Intake Control System (AICS), and other systems to maximize power across a broad speed range while boosting efficiency and reducing emissions.
To squeeze maximum performance from “The Beast”, this engine is mated to an advanced, eight-speed automatic with Sport Direct Shift Control and driver-selectable operating modes – from the fully automatic D-mode that delivers exceptional launch power and lightning quick acceleration to the M mode that feels like a true manual. Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters deliver crisp up-shifts in one-tenth of a second, while downshifts are enhanced with precise automated throttle blips that match engine RPM to the IS F’s speed.
The IS F achieves a fuel efficiency of 11.0 L / 100 KM combined city/highway, and a Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions rating.
Handling and Control
Power needs control, and the IS F’s dynamic, driver-focused systems help harness and make greatest use of its substantial power.
The IS F features a specially sport-tuned version of the Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) System. VDIM anticipates and corrects potential stability problems such as skids or slides to optimize handling and control. Three modes let the driver modify the IS F’s driving and handling dynamics. Drivers may also turn off VDIM when challenging their own skills behind the wheel on a closed course.
The IS F also features a specially tuned sport suspension, with double wishbone front and multilink rear configurations. This suspension is based on the IS series luxury sport sedans but with significant modifications that enhance stiffness and road feel, and features a special front-end anti-dive and anti-squat geometry.
For precise cornering and lane changes, the IS F is equipped with highly-responsive electric rack-and-pinion progressive rate power steering.
The 2012 Lexus IS F delivers advanced safety for driver, passengers, and those who share the road – or the track:
- The IS F is standard equipped with a full collection of Lexus active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. These include Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and Brake Assist enhancements, and Lexus Smart Stop technology;
- The IS F surrounds driver and passengers with a class-leading eight airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, and roll-sensing side curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- Massive disc brakes – 14.2 inches on the front wheels and 13.6 inches at the rear – feature cross-drilled rotors, painted callipers with the Lexus logo, BREMBO high-friction brake pads, and vented front wheel wells;
- Three point lap and shoulder belts in all four seating positions, including pretensioners, force limiters and adjustable shoulder belt anchors for all occupants;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks;
- An on-board first-aid kit;
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system;
- High visibility, fast-acting, long-lasting LED brake lamps and LED daytime running lights;
- And more.
The IS F features a contemporary, functional and luxurious interior with a generous array of convenience and style features, including:
- A 13-speaker Lexus Premium Audio System featuring AM/FM stereo/CD with mp3/WMA audio capability; six-disc CD changer; Automatic Sound Levelizer System; Bluetooth capability; Integrated XM Satellite Radio; and steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with soft-touch heater controls, cabin air filter, and rear seat heater ducts;
- Seating for four adults; eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat with three-setting memory system; eight-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat with three-setting memory system; and a 2nd row seat with fold-down centre armrest;
- Power door locks with key lockout protection, the Lexus Smart Key System and Push Button Start;
- Power windows with auto up/down function on all windows; tinted glass; and high solar energy-absorbing glass;
- A sporty yet luxurious interior featuring black IS F-badged, leather-trimmed Alcantara seat surfaces; aluminized fibreglass on resin trim; leather-wrapped steering wheel; and leather-wrapped metallic shift knob;
- Door courtesy lamps; glove box lamp; map lamps; and illuminated entry with fadeout;
- A full suite of advanced instrumentation, including: compass; tachometer; dual-trip odometer; outside temperature gauge; multi-information display; and more;
- Voice activated hard disc-based Navigation System with backup camera in navigation display;
- Electro-chromatic rear view mirror and dual illuminated vanity mirrors;
- Thoughtful in-cabin storage, including: interior trunk/cargo access; centre console with armest; front centre console box; front seat back pockets; front and rear cup holders; illuminated glove box; door map pockets;
- A 12-volt power outlet and retained accessory power;
- A three-spoke IS F steering wheel on a power tilting/telescoping steering column;
- 19” aluminum alloy wheels with wheel locks, performance summer radials, and temporary spare tire;
- Dual power remote heated and foldable exterior mirrors linked to driver’s seat memory system;
- An aggressively-styled exterior featuring power moon roof, colour-matched bumpers, mirrors, and door handles, and more;
- Bi-Xenon high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with the Lexus Light Control System and Auto Levelling Headlamp System, plus fog lamps;
- Variable intermittent rain sensing wipers with mist feature and a front windshield de-icing system;
- And more.
The 2012 Lexus IS F may be ordered with the Series 2 Package, which adds: unique 19” alloy wheels; a 14-speaker Mark Levinson audio system with six-disc DVD changer and 5.1-channel speaker architecture; a wallet-sized smart key; clearance and back-up sensors; and headlamp washers.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Lexus IS F is now on sale at Canadian Lexus Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $69,950for the IS F (Series 1) and $72,650 for the IS F (Series 2).
About Lexus of Canada
Lexus in Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 34 dealers across Canada. With 5 models on the road today, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2011 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), Lexus won the most segment awards, four in total, of any nameplate. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit www.media.lexus.ca.