(TORONTO) Canadians seeking responsive performance, driver-inspired innovations and luxury levels of comfort and convenience know the Lexus RX 450h luxury hybrid crossover delivers all of this and more, including compact-like fuel efficiency and cleaner emissions.
Highlights for 2012
- USB audio input now standard on all models.
“The sporty RX 450h delivers exceptional next generation power performance and efficiency, outstanding safety, and the attention to luxury and detail that only the Lexus experience can provide,” said Larry Hutchinson, Director of Lexus in Canada. “With a generously-equipped entry model and three thoughtful luxury packages to enhance the RX 450h, there’s never been a better time to welcome new Canadian guests to the Lexus family.” And because Lexus offers more luxury hybrids than any other manufacturer, Canadian guests can be sure that there is a Lexus hybrid well-suited to their lifestyle. ”
Power and performance
The 2012 Lexus RX 450h is built around the proven Lexus Hybrid Drive, specifically tailored to this mid-size luxury SUV. The RX 450h’s 3.5 L Atkinson cycle V6 featuring Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), Sequential Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection, the Acoustic Control Induction System and a stainless steel exhaust system. Dependability in all Canadian weather extremes is assured with a special engine oil cooler, plus heavy-duty battery, starter, alternator and heater and a Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation System.
This powerful yet efficient engine is seamlessly integrated with three high-torque electric motors and a powerful hybrid battery, plus an advanced power management system. Working in concert and connected to an electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission with intelligence (ECVT-i) with Sequential Shift mode, they generate 295 net horsepower along with the fuel efficiency of a non-hybrid compact sedan – at just 6.9 L/100 KM city/highway combined. The Lexus Hybrid Drive also significantly lowers smog-forming emissions, making the RX 450h a Tier 2 Bin 3 vehicle.
Handling and Control
Lexus RX 450h drivers will delight in the responsive steering, the elegant ride, and the confidence of all wheel drive enhanced by leading Lexus handling and control technologies.
Every RX 450h is standard equipped with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM). Utilizing a sophisticated network of sensors that monitor everything from speed, to steering, to braking, the VDIM system can anticipate a loss of traction and correct it before it occurs. Additional technologies such as Hill Start Assist Control and Uphill/Downhill Shift Logic help smooth the ride when negotiating hilly, winding roads, while independent suspensions front and rear – featuring Macpherson gas struts, coil springs and stabilizer bars – have been optimized for enhanced handling and ride comfort. A uniquely designed double-wishbone rear suspension contributes to the RX 450h’s exceptional agility and control.
As a Lexus hybrid, the RX 450h is able to operate in several driving modes, including EV, Hybrid SNOW Mode, and ECO Mode to help Canadians select the best operating characteristics for weather and road conditions. The RX 450h’s hybrid system is also remarkably quiet, as befits a luxury model, contributing to a serene driving environment.
From its impact absorbing structure to advanced active and passive safety systems, every 2012 Lexus RX 450h is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect occupants if an incident occurs, offering peace of mind to drivers and passengers:
- All RX 450h models are standard equipped with Lexus active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. These include Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), and Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA) enhancements;
- As a Lexus hybrid, the RX 450h also features an integrated regenerative braking system and electronically controlled hydraulic braking system – a powerful combination that is also efficient, as it captures energy during the braking process and uses it to recharge the hybrid system’s battery;
- The RX 450h surrounds driver and passengers with 10 airbags, including dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, front seat mounted side airbags, rear seat side airbags, and side roll-sensing curtain airbags;
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts plus pretensioners and force limiters for the front and outboard rear seats, and adjustable shoulder belt anchors for the front seatbelts;
- Active front headrests with whiplash protection;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks;
- An on-board first-aid kit;
- A direct tire pressure monitoring system;
- High visibility, fast-acting, long-lasting LED brake lamps;
The RX 450h features a comfortable, functional and luxurious interior with a generous suite of convenience and style features, including:
- A nine-speaker audio system featuring AM/FM stereo/six-disc CD changer with MP3 audio capability; a USB audio input; the Auto Sound Levelizer System; Bluetooth capability; Integrated XM Satellite Radio; and steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with dust/pollen/odour filter and rear seat heater ducts;
- Seating for five adults: perforated leather seat surfaces; heated and ventilated front seats; an eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat with memory system; a power adjustable front passenger seat; a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with recline and slide adjustments, plus a remote release in the cargo area;
- Power door locks with the Lexus Smart Key system and Push Button Start; and a power rear door with jam protection;
- Power windows with auto up/down function on all windows and rear privacy glass;
- A full suite of advanced instrumentation, including: Electroluminescent gauges; an Organic LED multi-information display with Lexus customizable features; an ECO indicator; and 8” display with back-up camera; cruise control; and more;
- Thoughtful in-cabin storage including: cargo area multi-purpose net; cargo mat; tonneau cover; driver and passenger opening door pockets; centre console box with armrest; front seatback pockets; overhead sunglass storage; front and rear cup holders; cargo-area tie-down rings; cargo-area side storage compartments; under cargo area storage compartments; and more;
- An interior trimmed in either espresso bird’s eye maple or brown walnut (depending on colour scheme);
- A power tilting/telescoping steering column;
- Three 12-volt auxiliary power outlets;
- An anti-theft system with engine immobilizer;
- A sophisticated exterior design, featuring: 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks; rear bumper protector; silver painted roof rails; front and rear splash guards; a power moon roof; roof mounted spoiler; Lexus hybrid blue accent badging; and more;
- Auto-dimming, power adjustable, heated dual exterior mirrors with integrated signal lamps and puddle lamps;
- Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlamps with the Lexus automatic high beam feature; adaptive front lighting system; and auto-levelling headlamp system;
- Variable intermittent wipers with rain sensing feature and windshield wiper de-icer;
- And more.
Canadians guests select from a choice of three upgrade packages that add comfort, convenience and luxury features to their 2012 Lexus RX 450h:
The Touring Package adds larger, 19” aluminum alloy wheels; a 12-speaker Lexus premium audio system with rear subwoofer; a wallet-sized Smart Card key; a voice-activated hard disc-based navigation system with the Lexus Remote Touch haptic controller; and XM Real Time Traffic capability;
The Ultra Premium Package 1 builds on the Touring Package with: a 15-speaker Mark Levinson Surround Sound audio system with six-disc DVD changer, rear subwoofer, and 7.1-channel architecture; front seat power-adjustable thigh support; premium leather seating surfaces; Intuitive Parking Assist; the Wide-view side monitor system; power retractable folding exterior mirrors; a wood and leather wrapped shift knob and steering wheel; front illuminated doorsill trim; and LED headlamps;
The Ultra Premium Package 2 builds on the Ultra Premium Package 1 with the addition of: a dual-screen rear seat DVD entertainment system with two sets of wireless headphones and audio and DVD remote control; the Lexus pre-collision system; Dynamic Radar Cruise Control; a 115-volt/400-watt power outlet; instrumentation enhanced with a heads-up display; and roof rail crossbars.
Guests may also personalize their 2012 Lexus RX 450h from a range of Lexus parts and accessories. Consult the Lexus web site for the most up to date list of options by model.
Pricing and availability
The 2012 Lexus RX 450h is now on sale at Canadian Lexus Dealers, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $59,700.
About Lexus of Canada
Lexus in Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 34 dealers across Canada. With 5 models on the road today, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2011 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), Lexus won the most segment awards, four in total, of any nameplate. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit www.media.lexus.ca.