(TORONTO) – Lexus today introduced Canadian guests to the next generation 2013 GS 350 RWD and GS 350 AWD performance luxury sedans plus the 2013 GS 450 hybrid performance luxury sedan – three models that herald a new design direction and new passion for performance at Lexus.
#PLACE PLAYER:SOURCEID="170938" WIDTH="490" HEIGHT="276" SPECIAL=""#
#PLACE PLAYER:SOURCEID="170846" WIDTH="490" HEIGHT="276" SPECIAL=""#
Inspired by the Lexus LFA supercar, the 2013 GS strikes an aggressive, confident stance, perfectly aligned with its exhilarating high-performance driving dynamics. Engineered for responsive power and superior handling, the new GS also delivers sophisticated refinement, leading edge innovation and advanced technology that establishes the future for performance luxury sedans. The 2013 GS is available in rear wheel and all-wheel drive GS 350 models with a 306 horsepower 3.5L V6 – as well as the GS 450 hybrid, which delivers a peak 338 horsepower plus best-in-class fuel efficiency at just 6.4 L / 100 KM (city/highway combined) – and all three models establish new pricing benchmarks to stand apart from the competition.
What’s New for 2013
- All new exterior design injects an aggressive yet clean design direction into the Lexus brand, from a unique spindle grille to sharp lines and curves. Highlights include new alloy wheels and LED daytime running lights.
- All new interior design is finely-honed and human-centric, featuring all-white ambient LED lighting and leather instrument panel, plus additional cabin room for five occupants, and extra cargo capacity;
- A new passion for performance and handling delivers the perfect balance of spirited dynamics and driving pleasure, with drive mode select, available adaptive variable suspension, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, the 2nd generation Lexus Remote Touch controller, an available next generation 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, and more;
- An impressive list of innovations, refine comfort, safety and convenience to new, segment leading levels, including the industry’s first available 12.3” navigation display, a new Smart Key design, three-zone climate control with occupant detection, power-adjustable front seats, and more;
- A full list of safety systems including a class-leading 10 standard airbags, six Lexus active safety technologies, and more;
- GS 450h delivers environmental sophistication, advanced hybrid performance and best-in-class fuel efficiency;
- New options packages include F-Sport components and advanced technology for upgraded performance and luxury, including the Lexus Pre-Collision System, Blind Spot Monitoring, Driver Monitoring with closed eye detection, Nightview, Heads-up Display, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, voice activated navigation, and more.
“Since taking the wraps off the new GS last year, we have been eagerly anticipating introducing this next-generation performance luxury sedan to our guests – and now that day is here,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director of Lexus in Canada. “With its sharp and emotional spindle grille – the new face of Lexus - the next generation GS represents new design, new performance, and new passion at Lexus. It delivers the progressive luxury and innovation that today’s drivers demand, plus all the luxury, comfort and intuitive technology that Canadian guests have come to expect from Lexus.”
Power and performance
The 2013 Lexus GS 350 is built around a finely-tuned, proven 3.5 L V6 that generates a peak 306 horsepower and up to 277 lb-ft of torque. Engine systems – including Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i), Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i), an Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) and Electronic Fuel Injection maximize power and efficiency while minimizing emissions.
This engine is mated with a six-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i) featuring sequential shift mode and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters for quick, smooth acceleration, lightning-quick shifts, and a downshift throttle-blip function for enhanced engine control. The GS 350 achieves a combined city/highway fuel efficiency of 9.1 L / 100 KM in rear wheel drive models, and 9.5 L / 100 KM in all wheel drive models.
The 2013 Lexus GS 450h features the proven Lexus Hybrid Drive. Built around the 3.5 L V6 engine found in the GS 350, the GS hybrid includes high-torque electric motors/generators, a powerful hybrid system storage battery and a sophisticated power management system. This system confers the ability to operate in multiple modes – Normal, Sport, Sport +, Eco and electric-only EV – and delivers a peak 338 horsepower. Coupled to a continuously variable transmission, the GS 450h’s hybrid drive delivers performance and efficiency without compromised: acceleration on par with that of a 4.5 L V8 engine, coupled to sophisticated environmental performance and class- leading fuel efficiency of just 6.4 L / 100 KM city/highway combined.
Handling and Control
All 2013 GS performance luxury sedans feature a redesigned chassis and performance-tuned suspension system. The front independent suspension features anti-dive and anti-squat geometry, plus forged aluminum alloy upper and lower arms and aluminum alloy steering knuckles to help reduce un-sprung weight and increase rigidity. The rear multi-link suspension features forged aluminum alloy upper arms and toe-control arms to help reduce weight while enhancing responsiveness and stability. These systems work together to deliver highly responsive handling, exceptional stability and first-rate ride quality.
In addition, the GS 450h features the Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), fitted front and rear as standard. This system (which is also available on certain GS 350 models), controls damping force on all four wheels in response to driver operations and road surface conditions. This helps achieve high measures of both ride comfort and handling stability. In addition, computerized sensors monitor steering and wheel speed to minimize dive, squat, lean and roll. On the GS 450h as well as GS 350 models so equipped, AVS settings are modified when the driver selects the SPORT S+ mode to further enhance handling and performance.
The 2013 GS features the Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system. VDIM is designed to anticipate and help correct potential instability for optimized control and handling. VDIM uses information from computer-linked sensors to detect a skid or slide and takes corrective action through subtle adjustments to steering, braking and throttle control, as appropriate.
All models feature highly responsive and efficient electric power steering. In addition, the GS 350 RWD with F-Sport package features Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH). This combines variable gear ratio steering with Dynamic Rear Steering to boost performance on curves that call for greater control and confidence.
The GS 350 AWD adds the confidence of advanced all-wheel-drive. Under normal driving conditions, this system distributes 70% of power to the rear wheels and 30% to the front wheels. When slippage occurs, the system transfers power to achieve best traction, with up to 50% being transferred to the front wheels. The system consists of front, rear and centre differentials and uses Lexus Traction Control (TRAC) instead of a limited slip centre differential to create a system that delivers high levels of stability and drivability.
GS gas models feature Hill-start Assist Control (HAC), which prevents roll-back when starting on a grade.
From its impact absorbing structure to advanced active and passive safety systems, every 2013 Lexus GS series sedan is engineered to help prevent accidents, and to protect occupants if an incident occurs, offering peace of mind to drivers and passengers:
- All GS models are standard equipped with a full suite of Lexus active safety technologies designed to protect occupants by helping drivers avoid accidents in the first place. These include Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), the Antilock Braking System with electronic brakeforce distribution and Brake Assist enhancements, and Smart Stop Technology;
- As a Lexus hybrid, the GS 450h also features an integrated regenerative braking system that captures energy during the braking process and uses it to recharge the hybrid system’s battery;
- The GS series surrounds driver and passengers in a class-leading 10 standard airbags. These include dual-stage driver and front passenger SRS airbags, which adapt automatically to impact severity and front seat position to provide better protection. Other airbag systems include front seat mounted side airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags, rear seat mounted side airbags and front and rear roll-sensing side curtain airbags.
- A carefully engineered body structure that helps channel impact forces away from occupants and protect pedestrians in the event of an accident;
- Front and rear disc brakes and electronic parking brake on all models
- All-position three point lap and shoulder belts plus pretensioners and force limiters for the front seats;
- Whiplash injury lessening front seats;
- Anchor points for child-restraint seats and child protector rear door locks;
- An on-board first-aid kit;
- A tire pressure monitoring system;
- Auto-levelling headlamps ensure that lights are always correctly aimed, using sensors in the suspension systems to detect vehicle posture and automatically correct headlight trim;
- Fast-acting, high-visibility and dependable LED brake lamps and LED high-mount stop lamp;
- And more.
The GS series features an all-new interior design that is modern, sporty and spacious. The emphasis is on driver control and comfort, with an ergonomic cockpit design, intelligent displays and intuitive instrument positioning. Interior accents include a leather-wrapped steering wheel (heated on the GS 450h) and leather-clad shift knob, aluminum scuff plates, and woodgrain trim. All five occupants will notice the generous room and full suite of amenities. These include:
- The Lexus Premium Audio system features 12 speakers, AM/FM, DVD, integrated XM Satellite Radio, auxiliary input jack for portable music devices, USB audio input, Bluetooth connectivity and steering wheel-mounted audio controls;
- Front and rear independent climate control with S-Flow delivers ultimate comfort. Features include three independent zones with controls for driver, front passenger and rear seat, plus a dust, pollen and odour filter. To save energy, the system features S-Flow, which uses sensors to determine if there is a front passenger. If there is no passenger, air-flow is restricted to the driver’s side. S-Flow also manages the number of vents it requires to maintain a comfortable cabin climate;
- 10-way power adjustable front-row seats are heated – and for the first time on the GS, air conditioned. All seat surfaces are clad in luxurious leather. The driver’s seat includes a seat memory system;
- The GS features power door locks and introduces a new Lexus Smart Key design with Push Button Start and engine immobilizer;
- A Lexus first, all GS sedans feature warm white LED ambient interior lighting, including switches, ignition, front and rear footwell lamps, map lamps, rear reading lamps, and more;
- A vast array of advanced instrumentation includes an 8-inch multi-information display, stand-alone back-up camera, tachometer, dual trip odometer and outside temperature gauge;
- The GS introduces the second-generation Remote Touch controller, which puts the most used feature settings at the driver’s fingertips. Positioned where the driver’s right hand rests on the centre console, this new Remote Touch controller is easier and more intuitive to use.
- Electrochromatic rear view mirrors, dual vanity mirrors;
- Power windows with automatic up/down function for all windows and a power rear window sunshade;
- Power tilting/telescoping steering column;
- A unique analogue clock with white ambient LED indicators;
- Cruise control;
- Integrated garage door opener;
- Plenty of intuitive in-cabin storage, including a driver’s coin case compartment, front and rear cup holders, front console box with lid, driver and passenger opening door pockets, overhead console box, front seat back pockets, front and rear door integrated bottle holders, rear seat coat hooks, cargo area mat and cargo net, and more;
- More cargo capacity in all models: 520L in GS 350 models, and 460L in the GS 450h.
- All season floor mats;
- A 12-volt accessory power outlet;
- Unique 18” aluminum alloy wheels with locks;
- All models feature dual foldable, heated, power-adjustable electrochromatic exterior mirrors with integrated signal lamps;
- A bold exterior design with sharp angles and well-defined curves, a signature spindle grille, dual exhausts and a power moon roof. The GS 450h sports unique hybrid badging and hybrid blue accent emblems;
- Bi-Xenon High-Intensity Discharge headlamps with an auto-levelling headlamp system, headlamp washers, and fog lamps;
- LED daytime running lights, high-mount stop lamp, brake lamps and clearance lamps;
- Variable intermittent rain-sensing wipers and a front windshield de-icer;
- And more.
Models and Available Packages
The 2013 Lexus GS is available in three models – the GS 350 RWD, the GS 350 AWD and the GS 450h. Each may be enhanced with a selection of available upgrade packages.
The 2013 Lexus GS 350 RWD starts at a suggested $51,900 – the most competitive starting MSRP in the mid-luxury segment. In addition, the GS 350 RWD may be fitted with a choice of two packages:
- The Navigation Package adds: a heated steering wheel; and a voice-activated, hard disc-based navigation system with the industry’s first 12.3” LCD display;
- The F-Sport Package builds on the Navigation Package, adding: front and rear Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS); Variable Gear Ratio Steering with Four-Wheel Active Steering; 19” aluminum alloy F-Sport wheels; a three-spoke F-Sport steering wheel; Drive Mode Select with SPORT+ Mode; Easy-close trunk; 16-way power adjustable driver’s seat with memory; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; F-Sport leather seats; F-Sport front grille; F-Sport rear spoiler; Metallic dash accents; F-Sport scuff plates; and an F-Sport shift knob.
The 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD starts at a suggested $54,900 – matching the best price in the all-wheel-drive mid-luxury segment, but offering more features. In addition, the GS 350 AWD may be fitted with a choice of five packages:
- The Navigation Package adds: a heated steering wheel; and a voice-activated, hard disc-based navigation system with the industry’s first 12.3” LCD display;
- The F-Sport Package builds on the Navigation Package, adding: front and rear Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS); 19” aluminum alloy F-Sport wheels; a three-spoke F-Sport steering wheel; Drive Mode Select with SPORT+ Mode; Easy-close trunk; 16-way power adjustable driver’s seat with memory; aluminum sport pedals with rubber inserts; F-Sport leather seats; F-Sport front grille; F-Sport rear spoiler; Metallic dash accents; F-Sport scuff plates; and an F-Sport shift knob;
- The Luxury Package builds on the Navigation Package, adding: Drive Mode Select with SPORT+ S mode; Woodgrain and leather wrapped steering wheel; front and rear Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS); unique high-gloss wheel rims; rear seat climate/HVAC controls; 18-way power adjustable driver and front passenger seats with driver and front passenger seat memory systems; heated rear seats; premium leather seat surfaces throughout; rear door glass sunshades; front seat butterfly headrests; the Lexus Adaptive Front Lighting System; Easy-close trunk; and a tire pressure monitoring system with auto-locate feature;
- The Technology Package builds on the Luxury Package, adding: a 17-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Audio System; Heads-Up Display; and the Blind Spot Monitor System;
- The Technology Plus Package builds on the Technology Package, adding: the Lexus Pre-Collision System with Driver Monitor; Nightview; Clearance and back-up sensor; and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
The 2013 Lexus GS 450h starts at a suggested $64,650 – the most attractively priced hybrid in the mid-luxury segment, and a remarkable $12,000 less than the launch price for the GS hybrid it replaces and more standard equipment. In addition, the GS 450h may be fitted with a choice of two packages:
- The Luxury Package adds: a heated wood steering wheel; a 17-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Audio System; 18-way power adjustable driver and front passenger seats with driver and front passenger seat memory systems; heated rear seats; premium leather seat surfaces throughout; rear door glass sunshades; the Lexus Adaptive Front Lighting System; Easy-close trunk; rear HVAC controls; and a tire pressure monitoring system with auto-locate feature;
- The Technology Package builds on the Luxury Package, adding: the Lexus Pre-Collision System with Driver Monitor; Heads-Up Display; the Blind Spot Monitor System; Nightview; Clearance and back-up sensor; Dynamic Radar Cruise Control; and LED headlamps.
Guests may also personalize their 2013 Lexus GS 350 RWD, GS 350 AWD or GS 450h from a range of Lexus parts and accessories. Consult the Lexus web site for the most up to date list of options by model.
Pricing and availability
The 2013 Lexus GS will be on sale this February, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price starting at $51,900 for the GS 350 RWD, $54,900 for the GS 350 AWD, and the GS 450h, going on sale late this Spring, will have a manufacturer's suggested retail starting price of $64,650.
About Lexus Canada
Lexus in Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 35 dealers across Canada. With 5 models on the road today, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2011 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS), Lexus won the most segment awards, four in total, of any nameplate. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit www.media.lexus.ca.