- More Power and Torque for GS 350
- Restyled Front End With Standard Bi-LED Headlamps
- New Available Lexus Safety System +
- Upgraded Multimedia Technology and for GS 350/GS 450h Standard Navigation
- New Interior Colours and Wood Trim Selections
(TORONTO, ON – August 14, 2015) – The Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance, the premier concours event in the United States, is an appropriate setting for the 2016 Lexus GS models to be introduced. The GS enters 2016 with a bolder design, and new luxury finishes that match the refinement of Monterey. The Lexus GS continues to feature impressive agility and sporty handling for turns along California Highway 1, as well as comfortable ride quality for extended highway driving. This is no modest mid-size luxury sedan. The engaging performance and amenities make the GS 350 or GS 450h an excellent choice for delighting enthusiast drivers as well as luxury connoisseurs.
The Lexus GS epitomizes the intersection of style and refinement with a strong rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille for 2016, framed by elegant satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive new standard Bi-LED headlights. The nighttime glow is unmistakably the look of Lexus.
A new front bumper and rocker panel design further sharpen the coupe-inspired profile, with the makeover extending to revised taillights, revised rear trim and new 18- and 19-inch machine-finish wheel designs. Bold design deserves bold colour, and so the 2016 GS is now offered in Matador Red Mica, Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 among other choices. The mica colours use an extraordinarily complex multi-layered, twice-baked process previously used only for concept vehicles or custom cars.
Every year Pebble Beach brings together the best in elegance and technology from decades past. The 2016 Lexus GS presents a modern interpretation—exemplified by new interior trim selections including laser cut wood, Matte Walnut, Linear 3D and for the F SPORT, Naguri aluminum. New interior leather colours include Noble Brown and Rioja Red (available on F SPORT). The analog clock located in the center of the dash is housed in a single ingot of aluminum and uses LED indicators. It adds new GPS functionality for adjusting the time zone.
New Power and Efficiency
In the GS 350, a more muscular 3.5-litre V6 produces 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. of torque (vs. 306 hp and 277 lb.-ft. in the 2015 model) and is also paired with the six-speed automatic. The V6’s combination of direct fuel injection and additional port fuel injectors ensures ample power and crisp responsiveness.
Leading the GS lineup is a car you’d expect from the luxury hybrid leader, the GS 450h – a high-performing hybrid. Its Lexus Hybrid Drive system combines output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-litre V6 engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total system horsepower, channeled through a planetary-type continuously variable transmission.
More Grip, More Grins
For added grip, the Lexus GS 350 offers an available all-weather drive system for added confidence on Canadian roads. An electronically controlled center differential provides a normal 30:70 torque split, with the rear-wheel bias favoring handling agility. The system reacts instantaneously to alter the split to as much as 50:50, depending on driving conditions, to help optimize traction.
For added grins when driving, the available F SPORT package combines track-tuned chassis enhancements with exclusive exterior and interior design features. On the GS 350, F SPORT can be combined with all-weather drive.
New Lexus Safety System +
The 2016 Lexus GS is a rolling testament to the brand’s commitment to cutting-edge safety technology. Its structure and 10 standard airbags form the foundation for occupant protection, while a wide array of driver-assist technologies helps the driver avoid hazards. New and optional for 2016 is Lexus Safety System + which combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control works at a range of speeds. It tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance. It’s sophisticated enough to smoothly adjust acceleration and deceleration when a vehicle enters or exits the lane or highway ahead.
Using a combination of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can help detect vehicles -- and in some circumstances, pedestrians. The system can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
Using a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if the system determines that the driver unintentionally deviated from the lane. Lane Departure Alert, with Steering Assist enabled, can help the vehicle stay in the center of its lane by smoothly increasing steering torque a small amount to assist in maintaining course.
Intelligent High Beam combines technology, safety and driving courtesy. It automatically adjusts high- and low-beam illumination by sensing not only oncoming traffic, but also the taillights of the vehicle traveling in front.
Lexus gave the GS models new multimedia for 2015, and now for 2016, the available 12.3-inch screen gains full-screen map capability when equipped with navigation. Other multimedia changes include enhanced voice recognition and graphics. The screen can split into two sections to show different functions, such as navigation, audio and climate control information. For GS 350 and GS 450h models, navigation is now standard.
New side “enter” buttons on the Remote Touch Interface controller and shortcut menu on the side of the screen make it even easier to operate climate control, audio, phone, navigation and more.
Apple iPhone® users have yet another control option -- Siri® Eyes Free Mode. Make calls, select songs from iTunes®, get turn-by-turn navigation through Apple Maps, and much more, all by asking Siri.
What’s New for 2016
- More power for GS 350 – now 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. torque from 3.5-litre V6
- Restyled front end with bolder Lexus spindle grille and Bi-LED headlights, and revised tail lamps and rear bumper treatments
- New available Lexus Safety System + combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Standard Navigation for GS 350 and GS 450h models
- Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display puts vital vehicle data at a quick glance in driver’s line of sight
- Upgraded multimedia technology: side “enter” buttons on Remote Touch Interface (RTI) and full screen map capability for available navigation with 12.3-inch central display screen
- New exterior and interior colours, wheel designs and interior wood and aluminum trim selections
- Analog clock adds GPS time zone functionality
- GS 350: 311 horsepower, 3.5-litre DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i)
- GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive system combining output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-litre V6 gasoline engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total system horsepower
- GS 450h: planetary-type electronically controlled continuously variable transmission with two-speed reduction (for “kickdown” functionality), Snow mode and paddle shifters
- Front and rear aluminum control arms help reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS with exemplary agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision
- Ventilated disc brakes feature four-piston aluminum front calipers and are equipped with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
- Standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems -- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -- with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited-slip differential effect.
- The GS is standard-equipped with 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags
- Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant’s head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries, in certain types of rear end collisions
- Standard entertainment and connectivity technology includes enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio
- Standard DVD video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs
- Three-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- With the available heated and ventilated front seats, the GS features the Climate Concierge. This system automatically monitors the temperature of three separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Each zone will achieve its pre-set level of comfort as quickly as possible
- The optional Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space
- The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000 hz at only 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion. Clari-Fi technology analyzes compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.) and determines how much amplification is needed, and where, to correct it
- 48-month/80,000km basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited kms
- 72 months/110,000km powertrain and restraint system coverage
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of distance travelled
- 96 months/160,000km hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery-control module, hybrid control module and inverter/converter
About Lexus Canada
Lexus Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 38 dealers across Canada. With 11 Lexus nameplates on the road today, six of them with hybrid models, Lexus has the largest luxury hybrid lineup; allowing guests a choice in a large range of luxury vehicle segments. In the 2014 J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), Lexus ranked highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for the third consecutive year. Additionally, the Lexus RX and RXh are built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada’s (TMMC) Cambridge South plant, the recipient of J.D. Power’s 2014 Platinum Plant Quality Award, Worldwide. For more information about Lexus products, and Lexus’ pursuit of perfection, visit: www.lexus.ca