TORONTO, ONTARIO – OCTOBER 1, 2020 – The new and recently revealed 2021 Lexus IS brings an exciting driving experience to the table. The IS has continuously been synonymous with exhilaration and superior driving performance and the new 2021 Lexus IS is no exception. With its superior agile handling and performance that forges a closer bond between driver and machine, the unique driving experience that the 2021 IS offers showcases why it is a true luxury sports sedan.
“The new Lexus IS enters the 2021 model year with a big dose of energy” said Robert Tsang, Director of Lexus Canada “We have added the latest in safety and connected technology while further honing vehicle dynamics to amplify the thrill of the drive.”
From day one, the IS has left a lasting impression in the luxury sports sedan segment, where dynamic capability and driving performance are mandatory attributes. The 2021 IS looks to further cement the bond between driver and vehicle by providing an enhanced linear driving characteristic that provides clear and direct feedback to the driver.
Countless test hours at the newly developed Shimoyama track in Japan and other test facilities were conducted on various road surfaces and conditions to identify ways to increase responsiveness and reduce unnecessary movement from unsprung mass. One of the first things engineers targeted was enhancing body rigidity. The increased rigidity not only helps reduce unwanted noise and vibration, but it also helps improve riding comfort and driving performance with enhanced response to steering input.
The bold new exterior styling of the 2021 IS not only aims for a provocative design, but its athletic silhouette is also meant to signify the agile changes that have taken place below the sheet metal. Overall, the new IS evokes lower, wider proportions. It is slightly wider, with muscular fenders that extend to enhance and accommodate the larger available 19-inch wheels and larger diameter tires. The wide and low form nods to the inherently high level of driving performance the IS possesses, but the sleek lines are also complemented with overtly aggressive sharpness carved into the side and shoulder character lines.
Luxury and performance are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and yet the two live in harmony in the new IS. The interior features standard NuLuxe-trimmed seating, a dual-zone automatic climate control system with touch-sensitive controls and Smart Key with push button start. New for 2021, an 8-inch touchscreen nearly 80mm is closer to the driver for easy access to the controls, while an expansive new 10.3-inch touchscreen is available. The new multimedia system features Apple CarPlay® compatibility and Android Auto™ compatibility.
In terms of safety, the standard Lexus Safety System+ 2.5 (LSS+ 2.5) found on the new IS receives additions for 2021. A number of key features that are part of the Lexus Safety System+ have been enhanced, along with the addition of a few key features. For starters, the Pre-Collision System (PCS) features an enhancement to the single-lens camera and millimeter-wave radar elements to expand the response range. By enhancing the radar and camera capabilities it is now possible for the system to help detect not only the vehicle ahead but also a preceding bicyclist in daytime and even a preceding pedestrian in daytime and low-light conditions. At intersections, the system has improved recognition of an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian when performing a left-hand turn and may activate typical PCS functions if needed. Additional PCS functions include Emergency Steering Assist (ESA), which is designed to assist steering within the vehicle’s lane as cued by the driver. To help IS drivers change lanes with confidence, the standard Blind Spot Monitor is designed to help detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes. Standard Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) can offer added peace of mind by helping to detect vehicles approaching from either side while backing out with a visual and audible warning.
The 2021 IS is available in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive options, and there are three distinct powertrain options available depending upon the grade.
The 2021 Lexus IS 300 RWD F SPORT Series 1 (starting MSRP: $42,950) features a 2.0-litre, turbocharged and intercooled inline four-cylinder engine, mated to an eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic transmission. This model includes 19” F SPORT wheels, heated and ventilated front seats, 8-way power adjustable front seats and F SPORT design enhancements, as well as an LFA-Style full TFT gauge cluster, auto dimming exterior mirrors and rain sensing wipers.
The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD (starting MSRP: $43,400) is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 that delivers 260 horsepower and 236 lb.-ft. of torque to all four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. This model features 18” alloy wheels, heated, 8-way power adjustable front seats, dual zone automatic climate control, smart key system with push button start, blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert and rain sensing wipers. It may be enhanced with a variety of available upgrade packages, as follows:
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Premium Package (starting MSRP: $43,800) adds ventilated front seats, a power moonroof and a heated steering wheel.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Luxury Package (starting MSRP: $47,700) builds on this, adding 19” alloy wheels, clearance and backup sensors, Lexus navigation with remote coupled to a 10.3” touchscreen, a driver seat memory system, a heated power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, auto dimming memory mirrors and adaptive front lighting system.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD Ultra-Luxury Package (starting MSRP: $51,000) builds on the Luxury package and ads a panoramic view monitor and an enhanced Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio 17-speaker system with a new amplifier offering an impressive 1,800 watts.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD F SPORT Series 1 (starting MSRP: $45,800) enhances the entry-level model with 19” F SPORT rims, ventilated front seats, a power moonroof, F SPORT design enhancements and an LFA-style full TFT gauge cluster.
- The 2021 Lexus IS 300 AWD F SPORT Series 2 (starting MSRP: $49,500) builds on this, adding Lexus navigation with remote coupled to a 10.3” touchscreen, a driver seat memory system, a heated steering wheel and auto dimming memory mirrors.
For buyers who crave maximum power, the 2021 Lexus IS 350 AWD F SPORT Series 2 (starting MSRP: $53,300), powered by a 3.5-litre V6 that produces 311 horsepower and 280 lb.-ft. of peak torque, coupled a six-speed automatic transmission, offers all the features and upgrades of the IS 300 F SPORT Series 2 model. This model can be enhanced with another F Sport package:
- The 2021 Lexus IS 350 AWD F SPORT Series 3 (starting MSRP: $58,000) is the sportiest IS available. Built on the F SPORT Series 2 model, it adds the Dynamic Handling Package, which includes unique 19” forged BBS wheels, Adaptive Variable Suspension with SPORT+ mode, a carbon fibre spoiler and carbon fibre mirror covers as well as silver wood interior accents. It is also equipped with exclusive triple LED headlamps.
The 2021 Lexus IS Series will go on sale at Lexus Dealers across Canada later this month. For complete and up to date details and specifications, visit www.lexus.ca/is
About Lexus Canada
Lexus Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Lexus luxury cars and sport utility vehicles through a sales and service network of 39 dealers across Canada. Guests have access to a wide range of luxury and performance vehicles with a total of 12 Lexus nameplates available in Canada, including the largest luxury hybrid lineup of 6 hybrid models. Inspired by bold design, intuitive technology, and peak performance, Lexus is committed to delivering the highest quality products and services and creating amazing experiences for their guests. The Lexus RX 350 and RX 450h are built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada’s (TMMC) award-winning Cambridge South plant. For more information about Lexus and Lexus products, please visit: www.lexus.ca.